Hen coughing. - 6 month Brahma

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dgh, Oct 23, 2016.

1. dgh

dgh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    [COLOR=333333]Fed oxytetracycline for 1 week. Separated 5 sneezing hens. Only one other occasionally coughing. Only this hen is still coughing with no change at all. Every blue moon and I mean an hour do I hear a sneeze-maybe I have about 60 hens.[/COLOR]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgZ42SPtOs&sns=em

I guess my question at this point is should she be put down or should I keep medicating. oxytetracycline 5t/gal + electrolytes/vitamins and vet rx

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Poor girl.

Some chickens cough when they eat powdery food. Do you feed crumble or mash? I know it makes one of my roosters in particular do it. It must depend on how well they swallow, ect. Have you tried looking in her throat for anything wrong with it? Does she get plenty of fresh air? It can be hard to know the cause, but if the medication isn't helping it may be something physical instead of bacterial/fungal.

I hope she gets better. However, if she continues to be uncomfortable no matter what, it may be best to put her down.

Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by