Hen Coughing and Sneezing! Need Help!

Payette

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 29, 2010
Earth
One of my hens came out of the coop this morning with her beak open, and she was making a noise that sounded like either a cough or a sneeze, or both. It was cold last night, but she was in the coop with a heat lamp. Does anyone know what's wrong and how to help her?
hu.gif

Could be a lot of things or nothing. I have had a hen that occasionally sneezes all her life, but I mean like a few times a week I would hear it.

Now, I have introduced new birds that brought chronic respiratory disease (mycoplasma gallisepticum) into my flock...that makes a lot of sneezing that can also have a bubbly eye appearance and decrease egg production.
BUT, there are many respiratory diseases out there that cause sneezing/coughing. Infectious bronchitis and newcastle disease can cause sneezing too so do so research on those diseases if you see a lot of sneezing and it seems to spread to others in the flock.

I hope it is nothing but a dusty coop for you!

My chickens, one by one, started coughing & sneezing a few weeks ago. I actually had the poultry inspector scheduled the next week to come out for state testing. I started panicking as there are so many respiratory illnesses and asked if he wanted to come earlier because of the "cold" type symptoms. He said it is typical this time of year. Testing all came back fine & within 2 weeks, they were all back to normal.

Hopefully it's just a cold : ) Good luck.

Thanks for the help you guys!
smile.png
She was coughing and sneezing for two days, but it passed by. Thank goodness! I was so worried!

Back
Top Bottom