Hen coughs and shakes her head? Any ideas? Update!

mada25

Chirping
14 Years
Apr 2, 2008
South Central Texas
Hello,
I have a one year old cuckoo maran hen that has a cough and shakes her head once afterwards. Any ideas what might be wrong? She hasn't given me an egg in about a month and her comb has shriveled over the summer. Should I seperate her and go buy antibiotics? I am fairly new to chickens and want to help but not sure what to do. All the other chickens seem fine. I do not see any mites or antything. I would appreciate any advice. They don't free range too many preadators around here. And there pen is clean and I haven't changed their feed. Thanks, Mary

UPDATE:
Went to tractor supply and got Tylan 50 and injected my hen. I really hope it helps. I was a little nervous giving her the shot. I also bought her some poultry drench nutrient that is supose to give her a boost. I will wait a few hours and then give her some directly in her mouth. THanks for all the suggestions and info. I was at a loss to figure out what to do. I will continue to keep a close eye on her. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks agian, Mary

Last edited:
I have read about shaking of the head (if I remember correctly) a type of worm. I will try to look it up.

OK, I am not sure if this is what your hen has but the worm I was referring to is Gape worm. They shake their heads in an attempt to expel the worm which gets caught in the air passages. It can be treated with Ivermectin. (If this is what she has). Maybe someone else has experienced this and can help as well.

Last edited:
Gape worm can sometimes be seen with a flashlight looking down a bird's throat, it will be a red stringy looking worm. It could also be canker so look for white or yellowish sores in the mouth and throat area. If the sores are present leave them be, don't mess with them. You can get a solution for the water from any pigeon supply house such as Foy's

Thanks for your replies. I looked in her mouth/throat today. No sign of cankers or gapeworm. She sounds worse today. Not just a cough but raspy breathing. She doesn't shake her head anyomore. I have separated her. I tried finding her some antibiotics today and no one around here had any. I found a place that does about an hour and a half away. They won't be open until Monday. I don't know how to make her more comfortable. I made her a really soft bed to lay in. I will continue to check on her often. Thanks again, Mary

is there no farm/feed stores near you?

you will need Tylan 50 injectable..and syringes..
found at most farm/feed/livestock stores in the livestock section.
the sooner the better.

I called Tractor Supply said they didn't have any antibiotics for chickens in stock. Although I did not ask for Tylan 50. Thanks for the heads up on the name I didn't know what exactly what to ask for. I will call them back tomorrow and see if they have any. I live in a very rural area. Even that Tractor supply is 40 miles away. We do have farm ranch stores closer but they are very small and don't carry meds like that. Thanks, mary

Most of the meds used are mainly used for large animals and the help at these places are not used to people asking for meds for birds. I get a lot of my stuff at TSC. Even Teramycin which is a very common "chicken" medicine.

Back
Top Bottom