1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen coughs only when I'm around

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tone3822, Dec 26, 2016.

1. tone3822

tone3822 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2016
    This is a new hen and it's been 3 days.

I thought she was sick because she was constantly coughing but then noticed she only does it when I'm around.

I went out of sight and sat there for 20 minutes and she did not cough one time but as soon as I came in the pen she starts coughing immediately.

Any ideas???
    She otherwise seems healthy.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you wear a scent or smoke? Those are really the only things I can think of that could be causing her to cough only when you are around.

3. tone3822

tone3822 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2016
    I do not wear anything or smoke. She does it when anyone goes around her.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, that is very strange. I'm not sure what could be going on. Perhaps someone else will have an idea of what it is :)

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hhhm, that is a bit bizarre.

My only thought was that it could be more of a warning noise than a cough?

Being a new hen and getting to know you it might be her way of communicating her unease?

[​IMG]

Hopefully she will stop when she gets used to her new surroundings and learns that you are a friend and not foe.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure it is a cough?.....My Speckled Sussex greets me and makes strange sounds all the time when I first go into the Coop...She follows me around the yard making strange sounds....I never thought anything of it....

Cheers!

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I also was wondering if it was really a cough. You could always record it and post so we can see....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by