hen crowing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cindy2020, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Cindy2020

Cindy2020 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    Plaistow Nh
    Hi, I am new to this.

I was given 6 hens last October.
    three of them have large combs and waddles and are crowing all the time.
    I am not sure what breeds they are.
    My tenant, who gave them to me, swears they are female.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Your tenant LIED..... [​IMG][​IMG]
    Post some pix and we will try to sort things out for you
    WISHING YOU BEST and ... [​IMG]

3. Cindy2020

Cindy2020 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    Plaistow Nh
    Thank you for reply....I'll get pics tomorrow

4. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Wow, lol chickens are really hard to sex. You never really know until they start crowing or laying [​IMG]
    Well, I read on the Internet that "apparently" if a rooster is not present in your chickens flock, one of the hens will step up and take place of the rooster and start crowing. I don't know if that's true though Lol

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I only keep hens and have been doing it for about 20 years, and have never had a rooster wanna be.. [​IMG]
    They do make a notification sound when they lay an egg.. (not all of them) but it is short duration and nothing near a rooster sound.

6. Lucyluvchickens

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    I've had roosters, mostly all of my chicken career, so I have never whitnessed this problem. I honestly don't even know lol

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Cindy2020 [​IMG] Welcome!

I have a rooster wannabe! Her name is Dusty and she calls the flock over for treats and mounts them. She also tries to crow some mornings. She takes on all comers including cats and Crows.

This is in a flock of only 5 hens, no roosters allowed in our zone. She is definitely female and used to lay eggs but not lately. She is just over 4 years old.

Young hens acting like roosters usually turn out to be roosters but older hens can definitely become gender confused and/or take on the role of rooster in a rooster-less flock.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    PIctures.

9. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    It does not happen often but it does happen. We had a hen that was very lady like and laid regularly. She went to live with a friend in the city who only has hens (we have roosters here). The hen started taking up the role of rooster and began "crowing" even though we knew she was a hen. She became so loud with her "crowing" that she had to come back to us because of the no rooster rule in the city. (My friend didn't want to take chances). She came back to the farm where there were roosters and after a period of time she stopped "crowing" and once again became her lady like self. She did however remain boss hen no matter whether she was a city hen/rooster or a country hen. There were many funny laughs and stories about her. Sadly her desire to free range led to her demise.

10. Lucyluvchickens

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Omg wow! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by