Hen Crowing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Happycowdog, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Back in July, I ordered three hens from the hatchery. Two light Brahma's and one EE. I really thought green eggs would be cool! These are the first hens I have ever had. Early in the morning around 6:30am lately, there is crowing coming out of the coop. My husband laughs and says that is Sunni the EE. I thought hens didn't crow!

Sunni also has a beard around her face that makes her look like Snuffy Smith. Could she be a male?? She also gets "frisky" with my cattledog and stares him down, then attacks him. Yet, she is very sweet. I am just not ready for a male yet! I hope the hatchery didn't make a mistake!

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It could be a rooster as sexing is never 100% accurate at the hatcheries. We couldn't tell ya if it is or not without pics. It is not unheard of to have a hen crow and be the dominant one when there is no rooster present. I hatched a hen awhile back who had waddles and a comb like a rooster and crowed as well. I didn't know she was truely a hen until the day she laid an egg.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah need pics. 99% of the time when someone posts here and says their 'hen' is crowing, it's really a rooster.. however, as the poster above said, some hens can crow too in certain circumstances.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We have a hen that crows everyday and lays almost everyday. She is about 18 months old and for sure a hen. Let me find the link, it's really cute!

5. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Hens can crow, Is s/he head "Hen" in your coop?

Vent sexing is only 99% accurate so she could be a he, You could always DNA sex he/r if you really need to know...I'v done it before...[​IMG]

Here's who I used:
    They only cost $20 for blood DNA sexing, I just clip a nail until it bleeds, 2 drops is all it takes.

If you post some pix we'd be glad to tell you what we think s/he is.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
  7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:No she is not a head hen, she is our little house chicken.

8. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Trying like crazy to upload a few photo's. I uploaded them, I just have to figure out how to post them in the message!

9. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    [​IMG] If this works I am going to crow myself...

10. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by