Hen crowing???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MYNSBTR, Dec 31, 2010.

1. MYNSBTR

MYNSBTR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Ocean County
    We got 2 baby chicks...1 and 2 days apart back in say July/August. They have grown nicely into beautiful chickens. One we have figured out is a rooster, and now, all of a sudden...(like 2 or 3 weeks after the rooster has started) the 2nd one sounds like "she" could be crowing as well. Alright, so maybe it doesn't sound like she could be...she is starting to crow like a rooster. Is it at all possible for a hen to sound like a rooster if she hangs out only with a rooster? If not, does anyone in NJ want 2 roosters? LOL (I laugh, but I am serious) We want hens to lay eggs...so if anyone wants to trade or has hens I am willing to make arrangements. Thank you for your help [​IMG] Happy 2011!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Occasionally, hens sort of make crowing noises; they don't produce a real crow. And they generally do this when there is NO roo present, as part of claiming to be the dominant hen.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounding like (pun intended) two roosters.[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Post a picture and we'll tell you if it's a hen or roo.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I had a game hen that used to do this quite a bit, & let me tell you she was the dominant hen on the yard.

6. MYNSBTR

MYNSBTR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Ocean County
    Donrae, I will do that today. Rebel...there are only 2, so I don't know if she's trying to prove a point and telling him not to mess with her, mimiking him or IS a him! lol I will get a picture today [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by