Hen Crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by terrylundberg, Sep 24, 2011.

1. terrylundberg

terrylundberg New Egg

May 23, 2011
    I only have 3 hens, NO rooster. One of my hens has taken to crowing in the morning. OK, it's weird...do hens do that? Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have heard that can happen especially when there is no rooster in the flock.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've read of dominant hens crowing. I've had a hen "attempt" to crow - at least I have to think that's what that strangled, gutteral catterwalling was - but it didn't sound like a full on rooster crow...more like when some cockerels are making their first sorry attempts.

4. terrylundberg

terrylundberg New Egg

May 23, 2011
    Well she IS the largest hen....Orphington....she gives it all she's got! At first I thought it was a turkey!

5. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We have heard a LOT of those 'turkey' noises and never thought about it being any of our pullets. I wonder now??

We unfortunatetly have a roo and are in the attempt to find a new home for him, whether it be with someone elses flock or in the freezer, no matter he needs to go. Then we'll see if the 'gobbling' sounds come back. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by