Hen crying wolf for attention!

klyra

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
So my alpha hen has learned that her sounds of distress bring me outside to her. Her "something is in the yard, crowing loudly" noises. Now she does it just whenever, and runs over to me when I come outside (with the four younger hens right behind her!!) They want treats, attention, and food scraps. Spoiled girls!! It's hilarious. But also frustrating. There WAS a raccoon in the yard the other day,and so I do need to keep my ears out. So I'm running outside all day just because they want snacks or a scratch behind the neck. I'll try and get a video.

That is so funny!
lol.png
And who said chickens aren't smart.

My chickens escape from their run to remind me when I am late to feed them. I have to use treats to get them back in. They certainly have me trained.
smile.png

My sweet Thelma (EE) has begun "crying" all day and I run outside to see if she's ok. One day, she wasn't ok and had a three foot long string down her throat which I pulled out. I figured she'd be ok but she ramped up the noise. Like a child, at first it was cute but now it's annoying. How do I bear her of this habit? The other hens have started to make noise as well. UGH
Help please?

My sweet Thelma (EE) has begun "crying" all day and I run outside to see if she's ok. One day, she wasn't ok and had a three foot long string down her throat which I pulled out. I figured she'd be ok but she ramped up the noise. Like a child, at first it was cute but now it's annoying. How do I bear her of this habit?  The other hens have started to make noise as well. UGH
Help please?

Are they laying? Possibly just singing the egg song?

That or they are consistently telling you that there is something g not quite right out there... Stray cats will cause everyone to whoop and holler, and sometimes my guineas would go off when the hens were in my strawberries... Tattletales ;)

Last edited:
Are they laying? Possibly just singing the egg song?

That or they are consistently telling you that there is something g not quite right out there... Stray cats will cause everyone to whoop and holler, and sometimes my guineas would go off when the hens were in my strawberries... Tattletales
wink.png

Thank you. They are all laying and have been for a months. They are good girls and Thelma's cries used to be to tell me she's hungry (all the time) or wants treats but now, it's just all of the time. She'a the town crier and announces anyone's presence in the yard. No one can go back there without her tattling on them. We do have cats in the neighborhood but so far, her cries are mostly "wolf". LOL
My biggest concern is that now the other three girls are tarting to do the same thing.

There are lots of threads on this site of people trying to keep chickens under the radar that are guilty of trying to keep hens quiet by running out and feeding treats to loud chickens. Chickens are NOT stupidly friends.

And goats can train their owners even faster......

There are lots of threads on this site of people trying to keep chickens under the radar that are guilty of trying to keep hens quiet by running out and feeding treats to loud chickens. Chickens are NOT stupidly friends.

And goats can train their owners even faster......

My girls are not under the radar but I don't want my neighbors to complain. I've talked to them and they are all cool with them. I am guilty of babying them and have begun the "breaking process". I still go in the yard but NO treats unless it's warranted and they've eaten their pellets. They were starving themselves in favor of treats! They are much smarted than people give them credit for.
Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom