hen dancing a gig?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfeverforever, May 3, 2011.

1. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    No

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Mine did that--right at the base of her beak. I checked closely and saw two perfect puncture marks. She died the next day. It was a spider or a snake I guess. She acted fine and then the next day she was gone. [​IMG] Guess its better than a contagious respiratory virus though. Its always the hens. [​IMG]

3. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:We do have snakes...... [​IMG]

4. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Its been a few hours and she still seems to be acting fine. Any other thoughts as the what could be wrong with her?

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry, my only experience with facial swelling was a respiratory infection. It was not the only symptom though and the birds were also sneezing, lethargic, not eating well, nasal mucous, and some were gurgling. It wouldn't hurt to isolate her though to keep whatever it is from spreading if it is contagious. It also gives you the opportunity to watch her closely for other symptoms. Hopefully it is nothing. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    I added a pic with symptoms. What do I do now? TSC company is closed now. What do I get for her? Is she going to die? Are the rest of the birds infected now? Transmitted to humans?

7. chickengrl

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Have you gotten any new birds lately, especially adults? It does sound like a respiratory infection and they are usually contagious. You can treat with Tylan 50 0.5 cc/ml injected into the scruff of the neck. Pull up the skin and inject just under the skin for 5-7 days. Unfortunately, a treated bird will become a carrier. If you have any die, you will want to look into having a necropsy done so you know what you have in your flock. Some very knowledgable people will tell you to cull your sick birds. It may be something you have to consider if you want to sell chicks or hatching eggs. If you have them only for your enjoyment and some eggs, you can keep a closed flock. That can get real old since you can't add new birds without them also getting sick. If you know what illness you have, you MIGHT be able to vaccinate new birds. Good luck. It's a very personal and diffficult decision. I wish you luck with it. This is one of the hardest parts of chicken keeping. [​IMG]

Edited to add: no worries about passing on to humans. Only some rare strains of avian influenza do this and there are no cases currently in the US

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  8. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:So by culling you mean killing this bird? What about the others? Do I cull all the birds or just the sick ones? Should I bleach the coop?? Please, I need more detailed answers. I have no problem putting this bird down if it means it will save all my other birds.

9. chickengrl

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Most folks would suggest killing your sick bird and hope that it hasn't spread. It is the only foolproof way to be sure you do not have carriers. Did you introduce any new birds? You can certainly bleach your coop, or you can use Oxine which is even better but you may have to order it online. Don't forget to soak feeders and waterers if you decide to do it. Watch the rest of the birds closely and pull the sick ones. You may be able to stop it if you remove the sick ones. Some URI are very contagious, and some not as much. Good luck.

10. chickenfeverforever

Apr 18, 2011
    no.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by