Hen dead or missing after dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by featheredbelles, Apr 4, 2018.

1. featheredbelles

featheredbelles Chirping

May 9, 2015
    I just got home and found feathers all over my chicken run and four of my five chickens hiding in the coop. I can't find the fifth one. I'm assuming she got eaten by the dog. I'm just surprised that I don't even see her feet or anything left. But I guess a big dog does the job pretty thorough, huh? Any experiences with that? I saw a hole underneath the fence and my tiny hope is that she got away. But I couldn't find her anywhere so far. Like I said, feathers everywhere, so maybe she just got eaten completely. I just expected more feathers in a case of a killing. I guess my question is, should I keep looking for her or does this sound like a dog killing? Sorry, I'm still a little shaken up.

2. featheredbelles

featheredbelles Chirping

May 9, 2015
    OMG, never mind, she's alive! My neighbor found her! She was hiding in his backyard where the dog came from. Happy Ending! She seems pretty fine other than missing feathers.

3. CONGRATULATIONS you found her!!! I'm so happy for you!!
    In my experience, the dogs eat every part, even the beak and feet. All I discovered was the final pile of feathers where the dog stopped to eat it. So I am VERY happy you found her alive!!

featheredbelles likes this.
  4. featheredbelles

featheredbelles Chirping

May 9, 2015
    THANK YOU!! so happy and relieved!!

HuskerHens18 likes this.
  5. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'm very glad you had a happy ending, but the dog will likely be back. You need to make sure that it cannot get to your chickens again. The dog had fun and was successful apparently, which is a huge reinforcement for the behavior. Don't want to be a downer, but you need to prevent it getting them again and it not having a happy ending next time. You can search for predator proofing ideas on ways to reinforce things so the dog, or anything else, can't get in or dig in.

featheredbelles and HuskerHens18 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: