hen death, vent blown out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarjorieBee, Nov 13, 2014.

1. MarjorieBee

MarjorieBee New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] I'm am very sorry to share this, but I came home to a dead hen today. Trying to figure out what happened to the poor gal. Her vent looked inside out, like a red balloon was coming out of it. I tried to feel around thinking an egg could have been stuck but everything felt soft, so I don't think So. Another thing I thought of was that I did get an enormous egg about 3 days ago, could have pushing that thing out have done this to her? I wish I could have noticed something before it was too late and hope I can prevent this from happening again. Anyone seen this before?

2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry for your loss. It looks like a prolapsed vent. I'm guessing that big egg must've caused internal trauma or symptom of an existing problem. A prolapsed vent alone should not be fatal as I understand it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  3. MarjorieBee

MarjorieBee New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    Well thank you for your feedback. The next time I see an enormous egg like that I'll have to thoroughly check them all. Thank you!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. MarjorieBee

MarjorieBee New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    New Hampshire
    Thank you I will definitely check those out. She is young and had only been laying for about three months, and was healthy and hadn't had any previous problems so I am kind of shocked. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by