Hen Depression

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horseface, Aug 26, 2016.

1. horseface

horseface Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Hi chicken friends, I've unfortunately had IB go through my flock. I have been to an amazing local poultry only vets who have helped me get them all through it, not been easy! Thank fully all my girls have bounced back and are happy and healthy again. Something I never thought I'd see.
    Apart from one, she is by all accounts fine now no symptoms, not coughing etc. She is however very depressed which is something that I've been told IB can bring on[​IMG] (the white one see pic) she is a POL white star and just seems so sad all the time, she is eating but isn't bothered about her friends at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to get her through this faze? Thanks in advance x

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd question whether she is totally healthy, was she ever showing symptoms?
    Her system could have been compromised even tho she survived.

If she lost a bunch of flock mates that can throw them off for awhile.
    How many birds did you have before and how many survived the IB?
    What did you treat them with, if anything?

3. horseface

horseface Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Hi, yes she was showing symptoms about two weeks ago, she had a very crackly chest she was coughing and sneezing. That has all stopped now.

I had 16 hens and I now have 14 so I have been quite lucky. They were treated with vetmulin 125. All were given a shot of anti inflammatory too, which I feel personally seemed to help them really quickly.

She just seems so sleepy all the time.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Her lungs may have been damaged by the disease.
    Not a psychological 'depression' but a physical one as her body may not be functioning well enough for good health and activity.
    If a bird is not moving around, they are sick. They can hide this very well until it's serious.
    Antibiotics can compromise their gut bacteria leading to problems with nutrient uptake.

Is she eating and drinking?
    Is her crop functioning properly?
    How do her poops look?
    How does her keel bone feel...adequate breast muscle or somewhat emaciated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by