Hen died; blood in sealed coop!? Please help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kembokid9379, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Kembokid9379

Kembokid9379 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    Until this morning, I've had 8 chickens: 7 hens and a rooster. They were born approximately 9 months ago, April 1st. They've been laying fine, and are staring to slow down due to the cold New England weather. Yesterday was particularly warm for the time of year, so we let them out to free-range for the day. However, when we opened the coop door yesterday, there were blood splatters all throughout the coop: walls, waterer, roosts, and all. They live in a coop as secure as Fort Knox, which we lock up every night, so the blood was extremely peculiar. We inspected every chicken; not one had any visible signs of injury and all free-ranged throughout the day perfectly normally. We decided to let bygones be bygones, and put the birds away that night. This morning was warm again, so we went to let the birds out. We opened the door to find one of the 7 hens sprawled dead in the center of the floor. There were no easily visible signs of injury, but alas, Roxie was dead. She was again, about 9 months old, fairly large (probably the largest of the 7 hens), a Bard Rock, and had been laying eggs since late August. If anyone has any ideas as to the cause of either the blood in the coop or the girl's death, please let me know. Thank you.

P.S. I was sent here from the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum, as there was little explanation of any such occurence. Any help is appreciated.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I read the other thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=430687

As
    was mentioned, I, too, would guess the poor girl was attacked the day before. If you have the carcass, scald and remove the feathers so as to perform a complete exam for external wounds. If, as you've said, the coop is absolutely secure, I'd not range them without supervision.
    Are there any sharp points anywhere in the coop? We lost a GSL when she attempted to hop/fly up onto 2"x4" roost and didn't put enough gumption into the takeoff. She struck her neck on the roost and, if I hadn't seen her do it, would have thought she had developed gapeworm from her stretched neck breathing and inability to swallow (was going to put her down the following afternoon but she died when I picked her up - summer heat/stress from injury/becoming dehydrated).

Maybe examine the `blood splatter' for clues into how this occurred.

I'm assuming none of the others were/are injured.

Good luck!

3. Kembokid9379

Dec 18, 2010
    Well thank you very much. Unfortunately, the body was buried, but i will look at the blood stains in the morning. There aren't too many jagged places in the coop, but it is possible. Thanks again.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  6. Kembokid9379

Dec 18, 2010
    Thank you both. I'll read up on it.

One question, how much blood would said infection produce? Because there was quite a bit. I'll try to post pictures.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My understanding is that ILT can produce a LOT of blood.

8. Kembokid9379

Dec 18, 2010
    Pictures of blood splatters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were several other blood spots throughout that corner of the coop, these were just the most easily visible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by