HEN DIED IN 5 SECONDS!!!!! i watched happen, flopped then gone!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DandDdad, Feb 7, 2015.

1. DandDdad

DandDdad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    im new to chickens. I have a small flock of 11 (now 10) hens they are 5months old lg breeds. at one point we had 12 and we harvested our rooster and ate him a few weeks ago BUT MAKES ME SAD TO LOSE ONE LIKE THIS AND I CANT EAT HER.

she was under my work bench with a few other hens I heard a small commotion THEN A FEW CAME OUT AND ONE FLOPPED FOR 3 TO 5 SEC.. NOT LONG THEN DEAD AS A DOORKNOB.

neighbors have a dog that sniffs at fence (huskey so doest even bark) they grew up with him there

POSSIBILITIES

A... SCARED AND BONKED HEAD TOO HARD AND OR HEART ATTACK????

B...I DIDNT HAVE THE BEST PLACE FOR HER TO LAY

NONE HAVE laid yet and they just started to make the "egg song"

I HAVE A 3000sq ft back yard that they roam all day.

I was outside making a nice laying box area for them. previous to this I had had a single milk crate with hay incase one laid early (or figured they would lay somewhere in yard.
    I WONDER IF SHE DIED BECAUSE SHE COULDNT LAY??? MY FAULT

C...THEY GET TABLE SCRAPS AND OTHER STUFF POISON BUT THAT WOULDNT BE SUCH A QUICK DEATH I THINK..

I DONT KNOW THANKS FOR READING.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    What breed is she? I have a friend who raises cross rock. She went out one day to feed and had apparently snuck up on them (not on purpose), but it scared 3 of her hens to death (literally). They get so fat, so quick that their heart is like an obese person. They have heart attacks easily.

3. DandDdad

Sep 6, 2014
    welsummer. one of the fastest growing chix other than broiler crosses.

4. DandDdad

Sep 6, 2014
    she was prob 5.5lbs (just guess) at 5months

5. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Wow! So sorry. I didn't know they grow so quickly. I really don't think it was because she didn't have a nest box. She would've laid it in the yard if she had to lay an egg. 5 months is a little early for welsummer to lay.

Something I forgot to ask, was she without water for any period of time? If she was without water, this could cause a sudden death especially if it is hot wherever you are.

One thing I would like for you to check into is Fatty Liver and Kidney Disease in Chickens. Not saying this is for sure what she had, but since the others are eating the same diet she was, they may be at risk of dying as well. You may also want to contact your county extension office and see how much a necropsy costs. They may provide you with a solid answer. Keep me posted please. Sorry again for your loss[​IMG]

6. DandDdad

Sep 6, 2014
    I have 3 different watering stations in my yard, it was only 75 to 80 yesterday ( beautiful east san diego) it gets to 100 here but none of the birds were acting hot at all.

I read about the fatty liver but that is almost %100 in caged birds and my birds fly to 6ft roosts and run all around yard.

after doing research I think it is flip-over syndrome ie a heart attack.

im outside everyday I do wood working in the yard and even all morning she was normal eating out of my twin 3yr olds hands. THEN BANG DEAD!!! I wouldn't have believed HOW FAST FROM CHILL TO DEAD if I wouldn't have watched happen myself.

7. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Not sure. I hope someone else chimes in. Keep an eye on the rest of your flock though. Hopefully not anything contagious.

8. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    There is a thing known as "flip over syndrome". I lost a wonderful rooster to this. He was fine, then I turned my back for a minute or two and then found him on his back on the ground, with purple face and comb. I don't think there is any known certain cause. It's a shocker when it happens. So sorry about your girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by