Hen died in the nesting box any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barnbuster, Nov 13, 2013.

1. barnbuster

barnbuster New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    My favorite hen (Goldie Haan) a Buff Astralorp was fine at 1:00 in the afternoon scratching in the run but when I checked on the girls at 8:00PM they were all still in the run not in the coop like normal. I went out to see why they were still outside and noticed that Goldie was not with them. I looked in the coop through the nesting box lid and Goldie was in box #1 with her head under wing and legs streched out. She was already stiff so I think she died mid afternoon. There was no trauma to her body and I can only assume she died while laying an egg. She was not even 1 year old but was laying large eggs, Could this be an explanation? any thoughts would be appreciated. I do not want to lose another one
    Thank you
    Mike

2. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    Sorry to hear that. I have not ran into that. Did you see that it was an egg related issue or just thought that because she was in box? Hang on, someone will have some insight for you. This is a great place to get help, support, and encouragement. In the meantime, search past forums by typing key words to bring up previous advice from others.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for you loss... Many States do free or low cost necropsies, all you have to do is ship her. If that's something you want to do let me know and i'll send you a link with shipping instructions.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like she was egg impacted. Sorry for your loss.

7. barnbuster

barnbuster New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    Thank you I think that would be a good idea.

8. barnbuster

barnbuster New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    Is this a common problem issue? I am simply assuming that it was an egg issue due to the fact that I found her in a nesting box. there was no egg below her.

9. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    I think you could feel for egg bond hen but maybe not.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You are correct, insert finger, check for egg.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by