hen died last night-- my fault???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by camaro10, Aug 18, 2010.

1. camaro10

camaro10 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Bucksport, Maine
    I am so sick to my stomach this morning and hardly slept. My favorite RIR died last night. I noticed her yesterday not acting to peppy. When I went in to the coop last night she was standing in the corner not moving to much. All of the hens went in for the night and she wasn't moving much to go in. I noticed something hanging out of her butt. I pulled on it thinking it was something she ate and wasn't fully coming out so needed a little help getting it out. Come to find out after I inspected it this morning it looked like hay from the nesting area that she must have ate. After I pulled it out she died within 20 secs. It was awful to watch and I keep replaying it in my head-- I am litterally sick to my stomach this morning. Please no bashing me -- I already feel bad enough.

2. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    aw, you didn't do anything that I wouldn't have done. I'm sure she lived a wonderful life. [​IMG]

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Don't feel so bad-----how would you know that that would happen? You obviously cared about her, so it's not like you're a bad owner. Accidents happen, and she may have died a slow death if you hadn't done that. [​IMG]

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up.

5. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    I would have done the same thing. [​IMG]

* I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone might know what happened. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It seems it's always are favorite ones that go first. Sorry for your loss.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It sounds like she had something going on that would have been totally out of your control. The fact that she died at that particular moment, I think, was just coincidental and had nothing to do with what you did. IMO. Again, so sorry.

8. camaro10

camaro10 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Bucksport, Maine
    Thanks everyone

9. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] I just hate how chickens die so fast and unexpectedly.

10. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Chickens love to eat hay. Are you sure it wasn't something else like worms? saladin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by