Hen died, rooster next?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hailtan, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Hailtan

Hailtan New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    I've been working for the last week or so and haven't had a chance to check on my birds. My dad has been taking care of them for me. He noticed that there was something off with my Adalusian hen and that her comb was drooping off to one side. Then he went off and told me that she stopped laying about a week ago. I can't confirm this myself, so I believe him. At first we thought she was eggbound and tried to help her pass the trouble by setting her in warm water for 20 mins. She didn't even put up a fight and my dad thought she was doing well.
    The next morning I finally had a chance to go out with him and check on my pets. Both the hen and her cochin roo were in the nesting box of the hutch they lived in. My dad removed the roo, and I noticed some fecal matter that was tinged with red. Our main concern though was the hen at the moment. My dad took her out and she was trembling really bad. As he took her from the shed she started vomiting/drooling out some kind of yellowish stuff. I didn't want to stick around, because I knew what was gonna happen next. Once we buried her my dad told me he squeezed on her crop very gently and the same yellow stuff came out, plus what he thought was blood. Now it seems my cochin is a bit... off... I noticed his comb is starting to droop alittle in back.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Chicken, Cochin, 6months, about 1-2lbs? He's light.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

He seems to move slow or just stand there looking around. Vent is clean, though feathers around that area have a small amount of red and white.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I want to say 2 or 3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Unsure. I have a mix breed, 5 month old chicken that's about 2 feet away from the cage. She seems slow or tired as well. Could be the heat though. Other members of the flock have been near them in the kennel, but aren't showing or experiencing strange behavior.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

My cochin was hanging out with the sick hen.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Layena(sp?) Pellets and 'soften' well water. Have seen canalope peels.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

If it was him and not the hen, brownish with some red. My dad said the rooster didn't have any red in his stool today.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Honestly haven't tried anything yet. I can't afford to take him to the vet right now.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I'm unsure at the moment. [​IMG]

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

N/a

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

They lived in a large rabbit hutch that I bought from Coastal Farms some years back. I used Pine bedding in the 'nesting box' area and the main part of the hutch has a wire that they stand on. The tray is covered with newspaper and cardboard and currently sits under the cage rather then in it's slot. It makes cleaning a whole lot easier and I don't risk breaking the cage. They get water in a plastic jug and feed from one of those silvery rabbit trays.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Your rooster does sound like a very sick boy. Maybe someone who knows what this is can help more.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If it were my chickens, I would treat for coccidiosis, since that's the most common thing. Sorry about your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by