Hen died Saturday another hen now same symptoms! Gape worm?

Aloopy10

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2020
so before my kids wake up from naps this is going to be quick but I need help!

One hen died saturday 2yrold, in her coop probably during the day. Checked on hens at night to lock up and found her in the "old coop" that coop is clean because she only goes in there to lay. She has been laying eggs daily. Noticed her sitting down a lot and kind of chirping repeatedly. Mouth open like heat exhaustion. (Definitely not heat related) they always have fresh water and food. I did not notice if she was eat/drinking before she died.

Other 2yr laying hen same symptoms. Mouth open, constantly following me around. She can jump/run but almost looks like her wings are out from her body then normally keeping close. She is eating and drinking. She is in a small cage right now, cool environment, fresh hay food/water. Keeps chirping making noises, can't stay still but not because she's in a cage. She seems fairly content in the cage actually.

I ordered medication for gap just because, it won't get here for 2 days. (Atleast I can give my 15 week olds this). I called all around no one has anything with levamisol.

If not gap what other causes could of killed my one hen and sickened this one?

Sounds like they could have worms. Put apple cider vinger in their water and isolate her from the rest of the flock. How does her poop look?

Darn i forgot to mention the poop, its a dark brown not black diarrhea. No mucous or blood. Just put apple cider vinegar in their water this morning and with the hen in the cage

It's heat related, not gapeworms since they are rare in chickens anyway. Also, gapeworm symptoms arnt there; mouth open, wings out from the body, sitting down alot, chirping...typical heat stress for a chicken, I've seen it myself. Can you provide fans and/or put ice in their waterers?
I have 2 box fans running in each of my four pens, one in each coop. I put ice in the waterers around noon time and their water stays cool all afternoon. I hope this helps.

Yes that does help. It hasn't been that hot thats why i am not sure about the heat relation. It was 77 Friday/cloudy and 80/cloudy Saturday. Its been a lot hotter for consecutive days and nights early in summer. The nights are cool now. The one hen has been in an air-conditioned room all day and she still having her mouth opened. Not like panting though, because they would all pant in that early summer heat wave we got in beginning of summer. Do you think it could be another type of worm that could cause this if its not heat or gape?

The only way to tell for sure is to take fresh fecal samples to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope for worm eggs. They'll be able to tell you what you're dealing with.
Gather different fresh feces and put them in a ziplock bag, mix it up some, then take it to a vet.
Thank you, thats probably the best idea

Back
Top Bottom