Hen Died Suddenly, Flock Not Laying Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks4MyFamily, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    I woke up yesterday to find our 15 month old hen had died. We have 3 hens and 6 (23 week old) pullets in a coop together. Our Jersey hen had been acting strange the day before but was eating and drinking fine, but was very slightly lethargic. I opened coop and did find almost flourescent green poo yesterday after searching for her cause of death. She had not laid in almost 14 days (but was NOT egg bound). My other two hens have not laid for three days. They have never been wormed and we live in Ohio where the temps are down and the days are slightly shorter, but any idea what is going on? If I do not "see" worms should I still go ahead and treat? No lice or mites they have been checked very well and no signs of ANYTHING respiratory. All remaining flock eating and drinking fine.

2. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    almost forgot I have 3 nesting boxes and my hens ALWAYS use the 1st one then right before they stopped laying they all 3 used the middle one and I found an egg on the run floor this morning? No signs of predator scaring them out of nest? No idea if this is a new layer or one of my hens that did this - they have never done that before!

3. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I know when one of my girls passed on, her best friend grieved her for a week. She didn't lay eggs and hardly ate at all. Just sat in a corner of the run. Is this a possibility? Don't know what to say about the egg on the floor- mine do that sometimes too...Maybe the nesting boxes need a cleaning?- that usually solves my problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by