1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen died suddenly, have no clue why??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trunkman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I thought I'd give the chickens a treat this afternoon so I cooked up some spaghetti, my wife and I started feeding the flock with the treat and about half way through the treat I noticed one adult hen came out of the coop so I brought a small handful of spaghetti to her and dropped it in front of her, she was panting a bit so I thought she was just hot, it was about 85. As I walked away I looked at her hind end and noticed she had something red coming out of her, I thought she was getting ready to lay an egg, so I just shrugged and started walking away, as I turned I heard fluttering so I turned back around to see what she was doing and she just flopped on her back and kicked her feet a couple times and died. What a shock, I've never witnessed this before. After she passed she oozed a little bit of blood from her vent. Sorry still in shock and wondering what just happened, any ideas? [​IMG]

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Songster

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Im not sure. She might have been egg bound, or had some sort of intestine problem. how were her eggs? My mother had a hen that laid two huge eggs, about twice the size of normal, than dropped dead. Were there any irregular eggs? The only plausible thing seemsto be a laying problem of some sort. Im sorry she died though. [​IMG]

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG] We lost a perfectly healthy hen the same way last month... don't know what happened! [​IMG]

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    The red thing hanging out of her vent could have been a prolapsed uterus, torn and bleeding from being pecked at by the other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: