Hen died suddenly, have no clue why??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trunkman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I thought I'd give the chickens a treat this afternoon so I cooked up some spaghetti, my wife and I started feeding the flock with the treat and about half way through the treat I noticed one adult hen came out of the coop so I brought a small handful of spaghetti to her and dropped it in front of her, she was panting a bit so I thought she was just hot, it was about 85. As I walked away I looked at her hind end and noticed she had something red coming out of her, I thought she was getting ready to lay an egg, so I just shrugged and started walking away, as I turned I heard fluttering so I turned back around to see what she was doing and she just flopped on her back and kicked her feet a couple times and died. What a shock, I've never witnessed this before. After she passed she oozed a little bit of blood from her vent. Sorry still in shock and wondering what just happened, any ideas? [​IMG]

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Im not sure. She might have been egg bound, or had some sort of intestine problem. how were her eggs? My mother had a hen that laid two huge eggs, about twice the size of normal, than dropped dead. Were there any irregular eggs? The only plausible thing seemsto be a laying problem of some sort. Im sorry she died though. [​IMG]

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG] We lost a perfectly healthy hen the same way last month... don't know what happened! [​IMG]

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    The red thing hanging out of her vent could have been a prolapsed uterus, torn and bleeding from being pecked at by the other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by