1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen died this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NarChicken, Apr 22, 2012.

1. NarChicken

NarChicken New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Hello there. I'm 25 and I live in Newfoundland, Canada, in a suburban area & have been caring for 6 hens since last august, so say 9 months. Friday evening I noticed what looked to be (from reading your helpful forums) a swollen vent [looked like her cloaca was protruding, what I would have described as having her bum inside-out]. She seemed to be in no pain and was happily mingling with the rest, eating bugs and as far as i can tell had been laying regularly up until wednesday or thursday. I used a solution of honey and water to help sooth the area and try and prevent infection. I was out this morning, Sunday, to feed them, all is well, and about 3pm I return to check on them(habit) and the one with the vent-issue had died. I can't figure out what the reason was. Feed them every morning with regular chick feed, and every second day or so I bring in some wild insects. I also try and supply enough oyster shell for calcium. Im worried that this issue might arise, or that the other hens may become depressed (or worse, ill). So worried. If anybody could give me some feedback I will be checking back regularly. I normally get my info from family members who have raised hens, but that generation of men is slowly shrinking. Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your condolences.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if she had a reproductive tract problem. These things happen and are not contagious. Your other hens will not become depressed the flock bond is not as strong as the pair bond in some other species of fowl.

3. NeTNChknLover

NeTNChknLover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Kingsport, TN
    I agree with sourland, I think it was a reproductive issue..more specifically I think she had prolapsed vent by the sound of it. It isn't contagious, so don't worry. Usually a prolapsed vent happens because of egg binding, which happens when there isn't enough calcium in the hens system. Even though you put out plenty of oyster shell, sometimes this happens because she just wasn't able to consume enough in that 24 hour period when she was forming the egg. So sorry this happened to one of you girls, I know it isn't easy [​IMG]

4. NarChicken

NarChicken New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks a million for the support folks, ill post some pictures when the weather gets a bit nicer, the other 5 are looking fine as ever. Although after the incident I've been trying to pay extra attention to them ;p Good to know its not likely a systematic error or anything likely contagious. New to the game so its always a scare. I was thinking once we got through the first winter everything would be easy-peasy, then a scare like that. Jeez. Anyways thanks again! Love BYC! Not many posts so far but I plan on contributing! ciao!

5. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. dancingflower68

dancingflower68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Manteca, CA
    I'm sorry about your chicken [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by