Hen Died, what happened

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kysquirrel, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kysquirrel

kysquirrel New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    When we left this morning all 16 chickens were fine. This afternoon we returned home to find one of our Buttercups dead by the coop door. No signs of injury and did not notice any problems this morning. About a week ago we treated the droppings in the roost with lime, could this have caused any problems. It was a lite treating, just trying to take out some moisture out and smell down. Is it possible she just flew into the door or is there some other hidden issue. Everyone else seems just fine. We have also been feeding oyster shell with laying mash and cracked corn, been doing this for three months. What Happened?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    What kind of lime did you use? There are two different kinds, one that is safe, and one that can kill.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Unfortunately, sometimes they just die for no apparent reason. You will need to keep a close watch on your flock to make sure they don't display any signs of illness. We got our 1st batch of chickens almost 4 yrs ago and found one of our Australorps dead when she was a year old. She was perfectly fine and showed no signs of illness - went out to pass out snacks and there she was, in a corner of the run. I had seen her that morning and she seemed fine.

I sprinkle garden lime around on their poop from time to time and have never had any problems. I have heard to make sure the bag says garden lime.

Sorry for your loss.

4. kysquirrel

kysquirrel New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Got it from our farm store and it is High Calcium Hydrated Lime, that is about all the bag says. Said they put it on gardens and they thought people used it from time to time in roost.

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    From what I understand, that kind should be OK. The Dolomite lime is bad.

6. kysquirrel

kysquirrel New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks, just not sure what happened and we are concerned about the rest of the flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by