Hen died with blood in mouth and bloody swollen vent, are the other birds at risk?

unaspenser

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Southwest Idaho
Lost one of my girls yesterday, she was a two year old wyandotte/plymouth mix , normal weight, no feathers missing or anything. She was one of four we bought at the same time and one of the others died unexpectedly last summer with no sign of any illness.

I found her yesterday afternoon lying on her back in the coop, already dead. She did not seem like she had been egg-bound, I couldn't feel any swelling or a lump in her abdomen, her crop felt empty. Her vent was somewhat swollen and red, looked almost bruised, and had a little blood seeping out of it, there was also some blood in her mouth.

I don't know if this is related, but the backs of her legs right where her knees were also looked kind of bruised, I wondered if she'd been sitting in one position for a long time or something.

Anyway, none of the birds are showing any symptoms of not feeling well,, but then, neither did Amelia.

I feed a mix of 20% lay crumble and hen scratch mix from a local food mill, they also get to graze in the yard a few times a week. I have eight birds (was nine) in a good-sized run, their coop and run were just cleaned for the spring and we use dry leaves for bedding.

I'm just concerned she might have been sick and I'm worried one of my other birds might get sick too. Anyone have any ideas what might have4 happened?

Last edited:
Kevin, I hadn't heard of cloacitis, my husband thinks that's what it might be. The coop and run have had a good clean out and are filled with fresh bedding, all the girls have also had a thorough check and nobody else seems sick.

EDIT - she is from the same batch of chicks that included this gal I posted about almost exactly a year ago, she died suddenly too. Maybe it's something genetic: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/462168/lost-a-hen-this-weekend

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom