Hen died with clear fluid coming out nostrils.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1littlefarmer, Jun 11, 2011.

1. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi all,
    I had a chicken die in my arms today and don't know why. She had been acting normally until about 4 days ago when we had a hawk scare. I don't know if she was the particular hen that was the target of the hawk but that night she was the first one on the roost so I assumed she was. The next morning she was the last one off and it's been like that ever since. There are no signs of injury on her. Then this afternoon I gave the chickens some treats and she just sat there. I picked her up to see if I could find a problem (that was the first bad sign b/c she NEVER lets me pick her up). She had some clear fluid run out her nostrils then she went into convulsions and died. After she died/while she was dying she had quite a bit more fluid come out her nostrils.

Any thoughts? The rest of the chickens seem fine. Was it the hawk or was that just coincidental?

Thanks for any help!

-Chris

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The hawk may have targeted her because it saw an easy meal, and even a glancing blow from a hawk carries a pretty powerful punch. If she was hit by the hawk then it could have done some internal damage that you couldn't see. No signs of respiratory illness prior to the attack? Nasal discharge is usually an upper respiratory thing, but in the absence of any symptoms I am thinking she may have acquired a major head injury in the attack that was just waiting to break loose. I am thinking the clear fluid you were seeing may have been cerebrospinal fluid. Unfortunately, there was nothing you could have done to change the outcome of that situation.

I am sorry for your loss.

3. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I wondered if it was some type of internal injury as there were no signs on the outside but it never crossed my mind that it could have been a head injury. That would explain her behavior since. There was no sign of any respiratory issues prior in her or any of the other chickens.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by