1. sweatervest

sweatervest New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    HI Folks, great site, first time posting.

I was hoping for some enlightenment on our recent loss of one of our 4 hens.
    Wednesday all hens were out in the yard, seemed to be fine wandering dusting and generally doing what chickens do.
    I think it is also important to mention I got 4 eggs on Wednesday (1 each)

Thursday my daughters went to let the hens out and one was laying in the nesting box and didn't want to come out, We thought she was just in the process of laying an egg. When I went back she was dead with a mucus liquid coming from her beak.

This hen from birth seemed to have a weird hop about her but was always a good egg producer(just extra info I guess)

We hatched all the 4 hens ourselves last July, so they aren't even a year old yet.

Any insight would be appreciated, understanding of course that it is near impossible to know for sure.

Thanks

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    So sorry about your hen [​IMG]. As you say, it's not easy figuring out what happened, they are so good at hiding illness. If you really want to know what killed her, I suggest you send her to your local State pathology lab. I think your local vet should know who they are and phone # etc. I believe most will do autopsies for free or very inexpensively.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by