1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RitaAnn, Dec 29, 2009.

1. RitaAnn

RitaAnn New Egg

Dec 29, 2009
    I just had a seemly healthy hen die today, others look fine, no have exhibeted any strange behaviors. Any ideas???? Hens are 7months old, BO and a GLW
    Thanks for any ideas, a newbie:(

2. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    [​IMG]

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    [​IMG]

4. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, I'm sorry your first question is a sad one.

I don't have an idea about why your hen died, and I doubt if others do as well. It's a mysterious thing called SCD, Sudden Chicken Death. I'm not joking and I'm not being facetious or sarcastic, it's something that chickens do sometimes; drop dead without an explanation.

Fortunately, mine haven't so I'm lucky but many others on BYC have experienced similar losses.

The way to find out is by necropsy; to cut open the hen and try to find out what happened. Experienced chicken people can do their own but most find a university ag department or vet to do this.

What you can do is look over the body carefully for signs of puncture wounds or bites as well as mite or lice damage.

If you acertain that it was nothing contagious that killed your hen, you may consider getting the one left a companion. Chickens do better with pals.

Good luck, Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by