Hen doesn't like nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lablover, Sep 21, 2012.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    I have an ameraucana hen that has been laying for a few weeks now. She's not regular like my sex links, but her main problem is that she doesn't seem to like laying in the nest box that is bedded with straw. She laid her first one outside in the run in the dirt. After that, she was pretty good with laying in the box. Then all of a sudden, one day she laid one in a dust pit right next to the back door. I've kept her and the rest of the flock locked in the coop for a few days and she did lay in the box with the rest of them. Then today she somehow broke out of the run and made her way to the house all by herself where she promptly laid her egg by the back door. I watched her today and while she tried to lay the egg, she kept picking up leaves and putting them on her back, near her tail. What was that about??

2. You have a funky hen. Some hens are, picky... They think outside where they can hide their eggs is better. If your OK with it, let her keep laying in the same spot, where you know where it is, and just collect them.

Or maybe try putting a milk crate outside with straw, but cover it and maybe turn it so it looks hidden, and she might lay there. That would be the best idea if she refuses to lay in the coop. Otherwise keep her locked up for a few days at a time, then each time she lays outside of the nest box, lock her up for a bit, unless she decides to never lay in the boxes.

3. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Interesting! Well, at least she's delivering to the door!

I did a search on here about hens trying to cover themselves, and everything that came up mentioned broodiness. This hen has only been laying a few weeks, so is it possible that she's going broody? She hasn't offered to stay with the eggs though.

Question on broody hens: Will they just lay an egg everyday (like normal) and add to their batch if you don't gather them everyday?

4. Shes not broody, its very rare that a broody hen will still lay. She may want to caver herself so that she feels safe when laying her egg. Unless shes plucking breast feathers, sticking with the eggs, and fluffing up hissing / growling when you come near, shes not broody

5. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Well she's not doing any of that. I guess she is just funky like you said!

6. Oh well, funky girls are the best [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by