Hen Doesn't look right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blitz1027, Sep 29, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Hey I've got a D'uccle hen that has got what looks like spit or something around one of her eyes and her comb is really pale and has what looks like a black spot on it. She also hasn't been acting her self. Does anyone know what could cause this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Oh dear.. [​IMG] My hen just passed away from the same symptoms last Friday. If I were you I would take her away from the others. We were thinking upper respiratory. The spit looking stuff around her eyes is a typical sign. Mine didn't seem quite right for a while. I hope you have better luck with your d'uccle.. I miss mine terribly.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Oh dear.. [​IMG] My hen just passed away from the same symptoms last Friday. If I were you I would take her away from the others. We were thinking upper respiratory. The spit looking stuff around her eyes is a typical sign. Mine didn't seem quite right for a while. I hope you have better luck with your d'uccle.. I miss mine terribly.

x2
    Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry, scroll down to infectious coryza and mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) If it's coryza, you should be able to smell a foul odor about the nostrils/head area. You can take a look at the other diseases if you wish:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Keep her as comfortable as possible. If it is respiratory, they don't always die from it. A few in my flock have it, but are much better equipped to deal with it than poor Nacho was. There is this powder you can put in their water as well, but it didn't help my hen. Sorry. Wish I could be of more help.

5. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I've put antibiotics in they're water but my poor hen looks awful. Her eyelids are really swollen and they are sticking together. Also her comb extremely pale on the from and is almost black on the back. She looks terrible and I'm really worried about her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by