Hen doesn't use nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2dancingrats, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    First layer of a dozen hens. So far, she has laid her eggs on the floor of the coop. Will she figure out what that box is for?

2. rschunk

rschunk Out Of The Brooder

Sure they will....My first 3 or 4 eggs were on the ground, protected in a little spot underneath the coop entry door and a 4x4 post. Now I'm getting 5 or 6 eggs a day from 8 Red Sex Links. They aren't real big but they are there. [​IMG]

And, it seems as though most of the chickens are laying in the same nest box. I built three for 8 hens but they aren't using the other two very much.

3. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same question, but mine is outside. I have 8 chickens, they are all finally starting to lay. Most lay in the nest box. I find eggs in the yard too. I tried letting them out later in the morning, but one or two are laying in the afternoon. I hope they stop, because I let them free range.

4. turtlemark

turtlemark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Holt 64048
    I have a odd one. I have 4 young hens. 2 are just starting to lay. One started laying in the nest box but is now dropping her eggs where ever she perches. Sometimes laying in the box. She was laying regularly in the box when she was the only one. Now that the other one (who is using the box) is laying It has gone weird. I am putting treats up in the boxes (different boxes every night and morning ) to incurage the use of the nesting box. So far it has helped. Any other Ideas. I heard with new layers often you need to lower the box to just off the ground. I don't have this option. I wouldn't mind her laying on the ground as I do keep my coop clean but she is dropping them right under there perch and into there poop. I have collecting them right away and washing them with water but are they still safe to use. I read in my book that they are not but don't want to waist them as I only have the two laying at this time.

Thanks for any help on this. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. turtlemark

Mar 29, 2009
    Holt 64048
    Quote:It is normal for them to lay in the same box. That is why you only need one box per 4 chickens. I have 3 for 4 so I can add to the flock later.

6. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:stick a golf ball or a plastic egg in your nesting box .... she might see it and start laying there

7. turtlemark

Mar 29, 2009
    Holt 64048
    Quote:stick a golf ball or a plastic egg in your nesting box .... she might see it and start laying there

doesn't matter as the other hen is using the nest box and hers is always in there when she lays. I also started them out with false eggs that doesn't seem to matter anymore with this chicken. It is weird. It is like she is lazy and drops her eggs from her perch she nest on at night. Like she doesn't want to get down and lay it so she just lays it. I have shavings as bedding in my coop and it is a soft landing , but the egg does get poop on it and I am not sure if you should use that egg at that point.

8. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Once I had more than one hen laying, they all started using the box. I think one must have had the "good idea" and the others followed her example. I also notice that the box had been occupied without any egg laying a couple of times before the eggs showed up in there. Maybe they were trying it out.

9. turtlemark

Mar 29, 2009
    Holt 64048
    She has started using the boxes and I now have 3 laying. thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by