Hen dominance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachchickie, Dec 30, 2009.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have posted this twice with no response. Thought I would try once more. I have an EE that is 18 wks old. 2 of my 9mo old hens chase her and she has started squatting when they get after her. They just look at her like- what are you doing. She does not squat for me like the others do. Her comb is not fully red but she is red all around her face. Her comb is very small, but her butt is very fuzzy and filled out like my laying hens. I have a RIR the same age who is probably 6 wks from laying by the look of her comb and wattles. And her butt is not as fuzzy. Do you all think she is squatting to the queens in submission or do you think she is about to lay? I am concerned she will not lay in the coop b/c they chase her around so much.

2. CHICKENBOY 1

CHICKENBOY 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    sounds that she is leting them be domanence.[​IMG]

3. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Okay, thanks for the response.

4. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    not sure about her behavior, but you could try isolating the 2 dominant ones (we have used a dog portable wire fence with netting on top within our pen so the others can see them but they can't get out) this has worked for us when we have introduced new ones (isolated them first, but then after 2 weeks we put them into general population then we isolated the queens for a bit to take them down a bit)

With this approach you may be able to see more about what the behavior truly is. Just an idea

5. beachchickie

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks I may try that. I went out a few minutes ago to clean and feed and found an odd egg. You know after awhile who lays which color and size etc. I am going to wait and see if I get another odd ball tomorrow b/f I separate them. I don't want to rock her world if she has started laying. Her comb is red today it was pink yesterday. She has never squatted for me but neither has my RIR who is already laying. Big Red squats for no one.

6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Oh that's for sure! i just put "coats" on 5 of mine that have been being pecked since they don't get to free range as much in the rain. Pretty funny to see them all dressed up

7. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    Just wanted to say one of my SLWs who has been laying for three weeks or so now squats ocassionally when I startle her. I believe it is out of submission that she squats around me.

...JP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by