Hen dominating a certain hen when she squats

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scalyfeets, Jul 10, 2016.

1. scalyfeets

scalyfeets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    Albuquerque
    Hi, my BO gets weird with my EE. I will pet the EE when she squats and the BO will immediately attack by pulling her neck feathers from the back. The other day she jumped and kicked her feet out like a rooster and got my hand. She started doing this about 4 months ago. They are 16-17 months old. I also have two Speckled Sussex and she doesn't seem to care as much about them if they get petted or handled although she does act like she might do something. It looks like she'senforcing taking the opportunity to enforce dominance . She is the uber bird and the one she does this to the most is number two.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That make sense. She's a jealous top hen who doesn't like to paying attention to others in her presence and is punishing them and possibly you. Now if you are playing the part of the rooster and are "mating" her when she squats you also should punish the dominant hen for interfering by pinning her down when she attacks, otherwise chasing her off is another option.

Hens can get frustrated without a rooster around and can often start to do some strange behaviors. I would assume your top hen is trying to be the rooster too as my top rooster will do that if a submissive rooster tries to mate in his presence. So you may need to dominate you Orpington.

3. scalyfeets

Apr 10, 2015
    Albuquerque

4. scalyfeets

Apr 10, 2015
    Albuquerque
    Thanks. I have just started to dominate her when she does this. She seems a bit puzzled by it. I will continue to do it and hope it mellows her out. It was quite shocking when she started doing this,the first time it looked like she was about to mount the other bird but my hand was in the way so she grabbed the feathers on the back of the other bird's neck and twisted and pulled! As far as I can tell she only does it when I give the other bird attention so I am being careful to pay attention and not let her surprise me. I realize more and more that what I have is a pack of dinosaurs!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by