Hen door

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lilyrose, Mar 21, 2013.

1. lilyrose

lilyrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    My gals have a strong, safe coop. I cannot free range them, as we live in the edge of woods and have many predators about. Their outdoor pen is two large areas on either side of the coop, and a covered roof. Should I be locking their hen door at night when they go in to roost?

2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Definitely! Any small, or large depending on the size of the door, predator will get in the coop and wipe out your chickens quicker than you can say "Shoo!" I close mine every night to prevent attacks from happening!

3. lilyrose

Oct 9, 2012
    So you mean shut them tightly away in the coop. I do shut the pen doors, but don't always shut their little hen door into the coop after they go in.

4. White Leghorn

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Yes their hen door. Their coop is their safe haven and if you leave the hen door open, a small critter, like a raccoon, could get in there and kill them.

5. lilyrose

Oct 9, 2012
    OK. I guess I am really lucky that I have had a bad thing happen before now. Those girls will be shut up tonight for sure!

6. farmboy22

farmboy22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I am in the same position as you having a nice chicken pen, well I didn't make sure it was predator safe and the next morning I was missing 6 chickens.

7. FlockOForbes

FlockOForbes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2012
    Smithfield, VA
    I close my hen door and have an additional lock on it as well. I just want to make sure if a predator gets in the run they wont get in the coop! We call our coop Fort Purdue :)

8. samiam4863

samiam4863 New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Even if the run is 1/2" welded wire? Been wondering the same thing. You've seen the plans...not sure where something would get in. Best not to chance it?

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well maybe then, sounds pretty safe if it's totally 1/2" x 1/2" unless there's a gap somewhere, more predators at large during the night tho....
    ........post some pics?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  10. White Leghorn

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    It is always great to close the door for extra protection (even if the run has welded wire around it. There is always a chance a snake can get in and slither into your coop so it is best not to take chances if you ask me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by