Hen dragging her butt& head/comb bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie73, Jan 23, 2012.

1. chickie73

chickie73 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    I have a young single comb brown leghorn (born over the summer) who I found in my coop yesterday, dragging her bum and bleeding from her head/comb. I did a little research and discovered she might be eggbound, so I had her soaking in my bathtub for 20 minutes in warm water and set her back out. Today, she hasn't been looking any better, but she's still eating and drinking and squacking up a storm along with the rest of them.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...eggbound would have nothing to do with a bleeding comb/head, which makes me think maybe she was in shock from being attacked???
    What do you mean by "dragging her bum"? Egg bound symptoms usually include a waddling walk and standing a bit hunched, plus a lot of pulsing around the rear end (vent area).
    Any other symptoms to mention??

3. chickie73

chickie73 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    She is waddling and standing in kind of a vertical position, and her vent is a little swollen and puffy. I figured the bleeding comb was most likely not part of being eggbound because I didn't read anything about that when I looked it up, but I thought it could be part of something else with similar symptoms.

As you can probably tell, I'm not very experienced when it comes to the chicken world; I've had this flock since the beginning of the summer and I had 8 hens for 3 years, but they've been gone for a while...so I kinda freaked out when I found her like that. Thanks for being patient! [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well the waddling does sound suspicious. They generally waddle and look uncomfortable (hunched look) when they're eggbound, including when they're trying to expel a soft shelled egg or a broken egg. Does her rear end (vent area) pulse a lot, like she's trying to work something out???
    I guess I'd give the warm bath another shot. Did you lube her vent opening up with vaseline? I'm not sure what you can do other than that. Some suggest inserting a finger to feel for an egg or shell material, but I've never tried that - I think I'd worry I'd do something wrong...
    I wonder if others were pecking at her when she wasn't feeling well (the bloody comb)???

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Check around her vent for the egg. If you feel it you need to go into her vent & lube the egg. What happens is the egg drys out & she can't push it out.

6. chickie73

chickie73 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    I did read that it's common in the leghorn breeds to be stuck with a soft-shelled egg, so that was another one of my suspicions. Like you said, I didn't really want to try to put my finger in there because I was afraid I'd do something wrong and if it is a soft-shelled egg, I'd be afraid of poking right through it.

Her vent area was pulsing a lot when I looked at it the other day while she was in the bath, and I did put vaseline on and around it, but I'll give that and the warm bath another shot.

As for the bloody comb, she's one of the smallest hens so she was probably being picked on a little, or I was also thinking possibly frostbite? It's been pretty cold for the past week to week and a half, but I'm not sure if frostbite would make her comb crack and bleed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by