Hen Dripping from backside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beautiful Hens, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Beautiful Hens

Beautiful Hens New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    My nine month old White Leghorn is dripping from her backside. The discharge smells like urine and is dripping all over her feathers. I do not see the actual dripping from her vent but it's go to be from there I think. She also has a slight white film around her backside. She appears very happy, full of energy and normal appetite. I attempted to wash her backside with warm water as tolerated. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this and what I advice you might have. Thank you very much!

2. NorthGAChick

NorthGAChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Hello, I give mine baths all the time because they go through phases where it gets messy. Can you see what she is leaving behind (not on her, but on the ground)? Then look at the chicken poo photo link... that's what I'm doing on one of mine right now, but no help or feedback yet since my photo wasn't there, that I could tell.

3. Beautiful Hens

Beautiful Hens New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Hello. She was dripping what appeared and smelled to be urine. What do you bathe your birds in? Do you bathe their whole body or just backside? Thanks

4. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

I bathe only the areas that need to be bathed in a container of warm water (make sure it's deep enough). I don't use soap because you can usually ease it out with your fingers, and soap strips their natural oils. Afterwards, you can blow dry them dry.

5. NorthGAChick

NorthGAChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    I bathe in two tubs. I do warm water in both tubs. One with organic shampoo and I soak them in it - they really like it once they're in it. Then I rinse them in the plain water tub. I only dry them with a blow dryer if it's cold. I also only wash the bottom half of them that sits in the but, not really the head or the back. I run a little water on their backs because the rooster gets them dirty but I don't submerge them that deep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by