1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen dropped dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Christie Rhae, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I came home this afternoon to find a 1 1/2 year old hen dead in the pen. Her neck does not seem broken and there are no wounds. She did not behave like she was sick and everyone else is acting fine. She is in a large pen with 11 other hens and two 6 month old cockerels. The two cockerels are not full grown and are lower in pecking order than half the mature hens. I have not seen them behave extra aggressive. I jus cannot figure out what could have happened. Oh yeah, she is a red sex link. Do chickens have heart attacks?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Yes, sometimes they do just keel over. TO QUALIFY: She may have had some underlying problem which may not have presented obvious symptoms. It could be anything: internal laying, dehydration, a spider bite, a head injury, etc. Without a full autopsy, you wouldn't know, and maybe not even then.

However, to be proactive: you may want to check your feed for mold as that can be a quick killer. You may want to go out at night and listen to see if anyone is rattling. Respiratory infections can kill the weaker members of the flock without warning. Also, while you are out there, check for red mites and poultry lice. They can make birds anemic and leave them susceptible to other problems.

I hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by