hen duck got off eggs while some were still hatching?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imapsychowhoa, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Imapsychowhoa

Imapsychowhoa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    My duck was sitting on eggs for about 34 days.two hatched and she got off the nest and i thought she would go back on so i left the eggs in.After 3 hours she was still off so i set up my incubator and went to go get the eggs.there was 10 eggs.one of the eggs was hatching, and my chickens were pecking the other eggs so i quickly took the eggs.i saw the one duck had its beak out of a egg and was bleeding a lot and the other was cracked and bleeding.I stuck them in the incubator and the next day one hatched and the one with the beak out, i helped out.the other egg i didn't hear anything pecking in or moving so i picked it a little to see if it had died.i picked the shell first then i picked the part that looks like paper.after that i saw another paper like thing (i dont know what to call it) around a duck.I could see veins and it was moving so i put it back and left it over night.It's still in the incubator and i saw it moving but i looks like it has thick white paper around parts of it.could it be stuck in the egg? the humidity is 65, should i try to get it higher?

2. Imapsychowhoa

Jun 6, 2010
    No one answered and i wasn't sure what to do but i figured it out by waiting.Here is what i did in case someone else has this problem. i raised the humidity up to 80 and put a wet napkin underneath the egg for 4 day's because i thought the egg would dry out.Finally the duck got it's beck out and i used a q tip to wet around it's beck.the duck didn't seem to be trying to get out so the next day i carefully picked a little bit at a time until it had it's head out then it kicked the shell off.I think what happened was one of my other duck's laid in the nest with the duck that was on the egg's because i have another egg hatching and i was thinking i will probably get a duck a day since the duck probably laid with the setting duck everyday. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I'm glad the duckling came out okay. That papery thing is the membrane that lines the shell. It should be moist and plyable. It will get stiff and look more like paper if it dries out. I'm not sure, but I think duck eggs require pretty high humidity. Are you still having more eggs hatch?

4. Imapsychowhoa

Jun 6, 2010
    yes i had one hatch this morning and another one has a small hole [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by