1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen dying after a molt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by forbero, Nov 27, 2010.

1. forbero

forbero Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    My approximately 17-month Turken molted a few weeks ago. She also lost weight, but I read this was normal. She also has been eating (Agrimaster layer feed) and drinking a lot. Her feathers started to grow back already and are about half-grown.
    Since it's been cold the last couple of nights, I've had the heat lamp on for her. This morning she came out to eat some bread I put out for them, then this afternoon i found her huddled inside shivering/shaking with her eyes closed. Her crop was full, but she is so skinny. I brought her inside and am keeping her warm, so it seems she is shaking, not shivering. She is on the verge of death. She has her feathers all fluffed upAny ideas what might have happen?

Back when she was molting: [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So sorry. If she's the only one sick, it could be so many things. Maybe there was something underlying, and the molt just pushed her over the edge.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I thought for sure one of my hens was dying when she was going through a hard molt, I brought her in started giving her baby vitamins w/o iron and also poultry drench in her water. She was barely eating so started trying to intice her with yogurt mixed with scrambled egg and some scratch plus her favorite mealworms. Finally after about 3 days she started to perk up and began to eat on her own , evidently molting is very hard on them and they immune system can get depleted. Most important too is if it's cold and she is shaking she is in need of warmth, try also to give her some warm water with a little sugar or honey mixed in for blood sugar, if you don't have baby vits. Electrolytes are also a good source if you can't get poultry drench.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. forbero

Jul 25, 2009
    Thanks for your replies.

A week ago I thought she was going to die, but she was eating like crazy and still seemed to be active. I thought she was going to pull through but now she's gotten even worse.

Today she won't even eat or drink, but I will try to give her warm liquids with sugar and electrolytes. She did open her eyes about 30min ago, and she's stopped shivering now that's she's been inside for several hours.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    could be her blood sugar is very low. A little sugar and warm water or honey and warm water might help. Try to get her to eat some warm yogurt. I heat it a little in the microwave. Have you ever wormed her? Also you say her crop is full is it hard or soft and can you smell anything from her mouth?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  6. TheBantamPrevails

TheBantamPrevails Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Are you giving her fluids with a syringe, into her beak, carefully so as to not put it down her lungs? If not, you might try that, very gently, to give her a kickstart. Has she pooped lately?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you can also dribble it onto her beak if worried about chocking her

8. forbero

Jul 25, 2009
    You guys are great! Thanks.
    I just checked on her and she is looking better, she is standing straight up now instead of hunched over no longer has her feathers fluffed. She is sleeping peacefully now so I haven't given her the milk/electrolyte solution that I've made. I will wake her in a bit.
    I had them checked for worms just 2 weeks ago and they were negative.
    Her crop was a bit hard when I first found her looking horrible around 12pm). I massaged it a bit and it seemed to loosed up, now it is very loose and mushy feeling. I haven't smelled anything foul, but i will give her mouth a smell when I feed her.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    from what I've read the crop should be full when they go to roost and empty when the come out in the morning. So happy she is feeling better. Also read not to give milk. Except butter milk or yogurt. Probiotics

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens are essentially lactose intolerant, or so I've read several times on here. A teaspoon of yougurt is ok, gives them probiotics; a bit of buttermilk is ok too, just don't give too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by