Hen dying or dehydrated??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hpbabs, Jul 5, 2016.

1. hpbabs

hpbabs Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016

There's something wrong with my Henny Penny. I hadn't seen or heard from her all day, but didn't think much because she often spends most of her time in the neighbors' yard. A couple hours ago I went into the pen to check and found her laying on her side, butt feathers covered in poop. There was even an egg laying behind her, so I knew she'd been there all day. I picked her up and washed off her feathers, then sat her in a cardboard box inside the house. There's a fan blowing cool air around, she's drinking and eating some. We think she's a Rhode Island Red, but don't know her exact age. She's somewhere between 6 and 9 years old, which might be old for her breed but we have chickens that are older. Could she just be very dehydrated... or is she ready to go? She isn't pale or breathing heavily, and her poop seems normal. She's unable to stand, but changes her position now and then. Should we prepare for the worst? Please help.

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I am sorry to say this but I think it may be just her time but if she had laid that egg, then she was maybe just egg bound and trying to get it out. and is just very weak trying to get it out. I would just let her be until tomorrow and see if she feels better by tomorrow. good luck

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC? She may have been egg bound possibly, and dehydration can add to that. Does she lay regularly? I would give her electrolyte water such as SaveAChick, Pedialyte, or even Gatorade, and when she is drinking, then offer her some feed mixed with water and some raw egg or plain yogurt. Sometimes egg binding can cause a temporary paralysis in the legs. But dehydration can also cause weakness of the legs. I hope she gets better.

4. hpbabs

hpbabs Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Thanks for the info. She doesn't lay regularly, maybe once a week? It's hard to tell when they all lay in the same spot, but we don't catch her in there often. We have yogurt on hand, and I mashed up her food. For now she is sleeping, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

5. hpbabs

hpbabs Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    She pulled through the night. Still eating and drinking, sometimes she stands up. She's panting, though, and sleepy. Sometimes when she sits she sticks her leg out.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by