Hen eating a dead sparrow!! What about diseases/parasites from the wild bird?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rinehart63, Jul 30, 2013.

1. rinehart63

rinehart63 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    A great way to start the morning! Found one of my hens running around with a dead sparrow in her mouth. Everyone else was trying to get it from her of course! Head was gone. Most of body still there but very mutilated. Some of the entrails were likely consumed already Ok, so I know chickens eat anything but my concern is what diseases might I now have to worry about! Now that I replaced all my less valuable hatchery stock with a large flock of "show" quality chickens, everything seems to happen to them! Figures! Have even wondered if I should remove this hen from the flock.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Oh no! That's awful! But it might not hurt her at all. The reality is depending on what was wrong with the sparrow and if the sparrow was carrying any disease. Even if it was her immune system might be able to fight it off. You will have to wait and see. Hopefully she did not injest enough to make her ill. If you like you can keep her separated for a couple of weeks and keep a close eye on her.if she doesn't succumb to illness by then I would think she would be fine. You can also give her a course of antibiotics if your concerned. I hope everything turns out well for you. Good luck!.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by