Hen eating eggs and bully hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jman45, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Jman45

Jman45 Chirping

Jun 15, 2018
    White Georgia
    so I have had three new hens added to my flock for around 4 days now. One of the hens who was originally here keeps chasing around and biting this one hen in particular. And the same hen who is being bullied eats eggs I think. Not the ones in the nest box (unless she hasn’t discovered them yet) cause she was making a nest on the ground and I rolled an egg to her and she pecked it and started eating it. Another one that was laid on the ground just disappeared and I think she ate that too. Should I sell the bully hen? Let them work it out. What about the egg eating hen?

penny1960 likes this.
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Do you have anywhere to put the bully for 5 days change the pecking order

sourland likes this.
  3. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    I've read filling an blown egg with mustard stops them eating them.
    I've had the odd one eaten but it was a hen that was laying soft shell eggs, and as she was leaving the nest she sometimes broke it, then either her or another would eat it.
    Since her egg shells have hardened I've not had any more eaten.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Actually, I would pull the egg eater, and see if things settle down. I would not want egg eating in my flock. Or pull her and the bully and see how the rest of the flock gets along. Some birds do not fit together, sometimes they will work it out, and sometimes they won't.

Mrs K

sourland and penny1960 like this.
  5. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    I had a thought about hens getting along. when I bought my first 3 hens I got them from a farm but they were all different breeds, I did this so my grandchildren could name them.
    Any way, they were put in a box together for the journey home which took around 30-40 minutes, then once home I put them in a small coop I had and that was their home for 3 days.
    then I released them in to the garden to free range, the thing is I never witnessed any fighting but may be that was done in the coop but they all seemed to get along.

So moving on a few weeks I decided to get 2 more from the same farm, again put in a box together for the journey home, I put them in the small coop together for 3 days but let the others see them in their little run.
    The new 2 were different breeds but again they were like sisters, on release to the other 3 birds a bit of squabbling took place but nothing serious, the original 3 seemed to stay together and new 2 seemed to stay together, but on time mixed in together.

There was a bit of squabbling at roost time the 2 new girls were last to go in and I witnessed a bit of pecking going on, obviously letting them know they were the lowest rank. As time went on one of the original girls got a leg injury and had to be put down, I think this altered the pecking order a bit too.

Sorry for the long story to get to my point and that is I think the journey home in the box together did something to form a bond, because this was their first ever journey in a car and they were all nervous, so in my mind they had each other for support.

Again this I think happened to the 2 new girls, they bonded in the box and car journey home, I know I only have a small flock so it was easy for me to do, but I often wonder if you get 2 or three that don't get along put them in a box together and take them for a ride and see if they are OK when you get them back home, it might just work.

Also the box was a cardboard type with just a few breather holes so it wasn't exactly dark but more confined if you get my meaning, not a dog crate, this too might make a difference.

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

FB044298-D812-4FF7-8789-D29BBE2A9126.jpeg

penny1960 likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: