Hen eating eggs, please help.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicklover16, Jan 26, 2012.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    this morning I went out to gather eggs and was shocked to see my buff orpington hen eating an egg out from under my barred rock [​IMG] so I marked her leg with a red string so that I could identify her as the egg eater. I know egg eating is a pretty common problem but I have no clue how to fix it...... any idea's?
    thanks,
    idy

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    harvest eggs often, place fake eggs in nests so when they try to eat them they won't like it.
    Clean up the mess immediately.
    Don't wait till she teaches the others how good they taste.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    It probably isn't an why eater. More than likely it got cracked and she found herself a tasty treat. All of my hens are egg eaters when eggs crack. :D

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Mine eat broken eggs too. If you're not feeding a lay ration, I'd recommend offering supplemental oyster shell grit for calcium.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If she was eating a freshly-layed egg out from under another hen, I would be pretty suspicious. You might try separating her for a week or so. If she eats her own eggs, she is a good candidate for the stewpot before she teaches the other hens a very bad habit.

6. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    thanks guys. I am going to try the fake egg thing. I REALLY don't want to have to cull her, I had to do that to one of the members of my flock several months ago and I cried for a week. I get very emotional over my babies.

7. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    hey, I heard that you can break open an egg and put pepper in it to make the chickens not like the taste of it? has anyone ever heard of this?

8. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    You blow it out and fill it with mustard and cayenne and such but I doubt that works because hens don't have receptors for hot stuff. I'd try the ceramic eggs but FIRST and foremost remove her from the coop before the others learn!

9. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    ok thanks!

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have egg eaters too and have tried everything in the book. I really didn't want to cull my hens so I tried everything. Nothing worked until I built a "roll-a-way" nest box where the egg rolls out of reach of the hen. You do have to train them to use it though because there is no hay or anything in it. It does need "fake grass" or shelf liner though, I haven't added that part yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by