Hen eating feathers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmgirls, Jan 8, 2011.

1. farmgirls

farmgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    What in the world does that mean? My husband witnessed two hens scoff down a feather. Does this mean they are lacking in a specific nutrient? We have had a lot of snow but I have been giving them veges, crumbles, oatmeal and their regular mash. They always have water and food available. Is this normal? Thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Typically it means they need a little more protein. BOSS, meat scraps, spinach, a little catfood (though too much might mean too much sodium), things of that nature should help. You can also try mixing game bird feed in with their regular feed...it's about 22% protein I think.

3. farmgirls

Apr 2, 2010
    Thank you so much! I had a feeling it was that. They are so used to free ranging and eating bugs etc... This has been a tough winter!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine free range also and there is no range right now covered in about a ft of snow with no let up so I started giving them BOSS and mealworms plus yogurt and kifer. Haven't seen any feather eating but didn't want it to start either

5. farmgirls

Apr 2, 2010
    Thank you, you both mentioned BOSS. What is that? A type of feed? I am not familiar with that and have not seen it in the local feed store. We have had so much snow this year and I think its starting to get to them. We bought some extra protein to put in their reg food too. I will give them some spinach and yogurt tomorrow before this gets out of hand. Also, what is Kifer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by