Hen eating Poo! YUCK!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VT Chick-lit, Jul 4, 2008.

1. VT Chick-lit

VT Chick-lit Out Of The Brooder

This evening, after putting my two 10 week old pullets to bed in their cage in the hen house, I let my two older hens (2 years old) out of the chicken run into a low fenced in area to "free range" a little before their bed time. I was sitting and waiting for the girls to get tired of pecking at the grass and go to bed when I noticed Roxy, my Austrolorp, eating the poo [​IMG] of Pebbles, my Wyandote. This was the first time that I witnessed this behavior from either of the girls. I intervened by scooping up the rather large poo pellet and disposed of it in the trash. Unfortunately I think she ate about half of it before I noticed what she was doing. I am now wondering if the reason that I do not see much poo in the chicken run is because Roxy has been eating it. Is this normal behavior? Can I break her of it? Why would she do this? I don't think it is a healthy habit for her to have. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe she sees something undigested in the poo? Ick, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. They can be odd... like the poults who ate cecal poo from the chicks like it was candy. :eek:

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I don't remember where I saw it but there was something I saw about them needing some poo in their diet to help aid in digestion. The thread had something to do about a deep litter method and letting it build up so you can compost it. But saying it wasn't all that unhealthy because they needed some poo in their diets anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by