1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen eating the wrong diet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady Dre, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Lady Dre

Lady Dre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    I have a Blue Andulusian hen, she is 9 months old. She is energetic and friendly but she will not eat her food. I have tried layer crumbles and pellets and she is not having it. She only wants to eat things she shouldn't. Her favorite non-foods are paper products, cardboard, paper towels, tissues she's not picky. She did go through a period of time where she ate nothing but chicken poop. She has since stopped doing that and I read they do that when they need protein. I switched her to game feed with higher protein hoping she might like that but no. I am finding her crop empty more than not and her comb is getting smaller and smaller. I know this is happening because of her diet but I don't know what to do with her. She will eat canned cat food but tiny bits at a time. She really doesn't even want treats like meal worms. Does anyone have any advise? I don't want her to starve herself.

2. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    I am sorry you are having this issue! does she have access to grit?

You might want to post in the emergency section- you may be able to receive better help there.

3. Lady Dre

Lady Dre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    No, I don't give my girls grit. They spend so much time free ranging that they seem to get what they need naturally. I will start giving them some now and she if it makes a difference in my hen. I will re-post this in Emergencies. I wasn't sure where to post this yesterday. Thanks for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by