1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen eats eggs, what to do??? **Update**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by encmanerabbitry, Oct 22, 2008.

1. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    My Silver Spangled Hamburg Bantam hen eats her eggs, this has been an ongoing issue ever since I got the pair, I'm going to take a wild guess, but I bet this is why they were for sale. [​IMG]
    I have added extra calcium to their regular feed which is a cracked corn and poultry layer mix.
    I've tried putting golf balls in with them, to deter the pecking, but it still happens. I did not plan to leave the eggs with them, I want to hatch them in the bator, but I can't ever get to them in time. And I check dozens of times a day. [​IMG]

What do I do?!?!
    Is there some sort of contraption that could be made to remove the egg?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:There are a few ways to deal with this, Do a search on egg eating !!!!

1. Put golf balls in the nest
    2. Build roll out nest boxes (can also search "roll out nest boxes")

Good luck, it can be a very hard habbit to break !!!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I'm not sure how golf balls break the habit, but if it works great. The only thing that worked with our egg eater was to gather the eggs earlier in the day which is not an option for some folks. Another good option is to put them in a tasty stew, but again that is not for everyone.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:The story behind the golf balls are, if you put some in each nest after the hen lays she will start to peck the golf balls and have no luck and give up, I had a hen that would peck a hole in her egg and golf balls worked !!

5. encmanerabbitry

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    Thanks everyone, I've been trying the golf ball thing for about 2 months, still not working. [​IMG]

6. encmanerabbitry

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    Just wanted to give an update!
    I finally got my hen to stop eating the eggs! [​IMG]

Here's what I did (after trying the golf ball thing FOREVER):
    I foung some old plastic easter eggs, the ones the open in half. And I painted them white, not sure if I had to or not but I did. Than I filled them with some shavings.
    She pecked them open and wasn't too interested with the yucky shavings and I think she lost interest in pecking them open. I did this for a few days. Now I've been able to get 3 eggs from her! [​IMG]

If that didn't work, I was going to put a baby monitor in the barn so I can hear when she starts squawking about her egg, then I could run out and get it. But I didn't have to!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by