Hen? EE. Please help.

Ember13

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2016

I have no experience of roosters. This is my new hen, about 20 weeks old. She is bigger than all my other mature hens, is not intimidated despite being new and I could swear she was crowing. But it could just be some other sound as, indeed, all of the girls have had a lot to say with new introductions. Please help? I tried to read up on color patterns and feather shape but I really don't know what I am looking for. I want to be sure she is indeed a she...

Thanks, that actually makes more sense. The guy I got her from says they lay colors eggs and I know she's not an ameraucana so I just assumed EE. I didn't realize black sex links could do that. (Maybe). And perhaps it explains her size. Now I have more info to go on.

Thanks, that actually makes more sense. The guy I got her from says they lay colors eggs and I know she's not an ameraucana so I just assumed EE. I didn't realize black sex links could do that. (Maybe). And perhaps it explains her size. Now I have more info to go on.

You can create sex linked Easter/Olive eggers, just have to choose the right color parent stock that happen to be layers of colored eggs. That being said, this bird is not showing any of the characteristics that would give good indication of potential colored laying.

Back
Top Bottom