Hen Eggbound day 5,6, 7,8....now day 10!!! Any thoughts? <<UPDATE>>

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thegoldengirls, Jul 17, 2011.

1. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    I have a very sick hen. I slowly dragged myself out to the coop this morning because I knew she would be gone, and wanted to take care of her before the kids got up.
    Well, to my amazement, she's still alive.
    WHAT DO I DO NOW?
    She's over 3 years old and we have noticed she's been quiet for a few days, but still eating and drinking and going out with the rest. Then yesterday she stayed huddled alone and laying down. Her breathing was labored and she acted like she needed to lay an egg. However, she kept expelling what looks like egg yolk and her bumm was messy. We let her be because it was so warm out and we didnt' want to stress her. Finally in the afternoon we did a warm soak. She's getting a bit weak, so she pretty much sat in it without fighting. She even drank the water while she was in it. I cleand her bumm and we dried her with a towel and let her roam in fresh grass alone. She dried quickly and looked better, but didn't really feel any better. She mostly lays down... sometimes on her side. For the most part, her tail is up and you can see her vent protrude (like an outie belly button), and pulse as she breathes. While she was in the bath, I feld her lower abdomen and didn't find anything hard.
    Also, no signs of any soft shell, or broken shell.
    We put her in her own crate last night with water, and last I checked on her, her breathing was very labored with mouth open and tongue out. I tried to prepare both my girls for the inevitable, and after some crying they understood.
    Now, you can imagine my shock to go out and find her still laying upright and looking at me! Her eyes look more alert than last night, and her breathing is a little less labored. I'm sure the cooling down last night helped, but I really didn't expect to find her alive.
    So, after a long story... WHAT DO I DO NOW?
    She is fighting, so I sure don't want to give up yet. She definitely acts like a chicken that wants to live.
    I'm now wondering if she has worms.
    I'm going to run to TSC later this morning and pick up wormer. Meanwhile I'll offer her some yogurt/oatmeal mix. This has always been their favorite treat. I really thought it was internal laying, or a soft shell broken inside, but there are absolutely no signs of shell. But, I noticed one other hen has a bit of poo down her bumm, but the rest are fine. I really wonder if it's worms. For some reason, the wild birds have found thier way in the run and are in there constantly. Never had this issue til now, so I'm thinking maybe they passed something.
    I will try another warm soak later when it warms up more.
    Has anyone had experience with worm in hens? Does this sound like it?

(Sorry, didn't mean to make this so long...)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Do you have any KY Jelly or some other water-based lubricant around the house? Don't use Vaseline or food oil...they can breed bacteria inside the bird just as they would inside human girly-bits. Using a lot of lubricant, check with a finger or two inside of her to see if you can feel an egg. We had to put our fingers fairly far inside of our hen when she was eggbound to see where it was. All depends where it got hung up inside her, I guess..

The yogurt will help - calcium helps muscle contractions work more efficiently in people, and would imagine it would be the same thing for birds. We also fed our girl oatmeal. A warm bath will help her muscles to relax a bit since she's likely been pushing for quite a while, if there *is* an egg stuck in her anyway.

If she's eggbound, you'll have to (using lots of lubricant) slide your finger(s) and the lubricant around the sides of the egg and try to help her work it loose. It may take a while and you may have to wait a little bit in between tries, but letting the lubricant sit in there (around the sides of the egg) will help too. It took our girl the whole day, with our help off and on, to get her egg out but she finally did.

Good luck!

3. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Thanks for replying offdagridsoon.
    It took us til now to get home with wormer and KY.
    We had her outside seperated, in the coop with all windows and doors open so she could get a breeze. She's still alive with head up, but to one side and tail down.
    It's 90F outside, so we've brought have her in the house where it's at least a little cooler. My girls have her soaking as I'm typing and I have a fan blowing to keep the air moving. It's on the floor where it's not blowing directly on her, as she is in a pan in the tub. I'm gonna soak her for as long as she'll tolerate. Then I'll do as you suggested with the KY. At least after a good soak, her bumm should be clean before I start probing.
    I really hope this all works. She's really fighting. [​IMG]

4. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    My finger doesn't fit. She soaked for 1/2 hour and seemed to be very relaxed.. almost to the point of falling asleep.
    I can feel the egg in her abdomen, but it's still quite low. When I tried the KY and glove, even my pinky wouldn't fit. Her muscles were contracting and fighting me.
    I am going to give it one more try tonight. If she makes it til tomorrow, then I'll take her to my vet. There are several in the office, but one specializes in rodents and farm animals. He is super with my animals... and doesn't laugh when I bring in 3 chickens and a dog.
    I'm still very worried about her. She's getting thin and the egg doesn't seem to be progressing.
    She's a great hen, and would really hate to lose her to this. [​IMG]

5. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    She's still with us! Poor thing has been in this condition since Friday.
    We did 2 more long bath soaks yesterday, along with gentle probing using KY jelly.
    I can feel the egg through her abdomen. Feels like it's just floating around in there. But, when I probe, I can't touch it with my finger... even when I manipulate it from the outside at the same time. She did release poo during both baths yesterday. She also tried pushing, but the egg just doesn't seem to be moving up.
    After her first bath yesterday, we let her out to walk around in the grass. She looked soo pathetic with her feathers still wet. She did walk quite a bit, but it was the "penguin" walk. I've also noticed that her right foot turns in because of the way her "hips" are spread. You can kinda see it in the first pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm afraid she is going to fade away from malnutrition. She will peck away at oatmeal when we offer it, but I'm not sure how long it will keep her going.
    My local vet referred me to a university hospital that is over an hour away. I just can't justify that. There is another vet office that they referred me to that is about 40 miles, but when I spoke to them on the phone and explained everything, they told me I'm doing exactly what they would do.

I don't know what more to do. [​IMG]
    This morning she is in her box, laying down again.
    Someone suggested that it may have developed in the wrong place. Has anyone had this happen?

6. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Today is DAY 5! We didn't expect her to live past last Friday, and yet..here she is!
    Yesterday, did 2 soaks and finger probing with KY. I can feel the egg from the outside of her abdomen, and push it up... but I can't touch it when I probe.
    Maybe it's really not in the right place.
    She's actually alert and eating, but still doing the "penguin" walk.

I sure wish something would happen!

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Bummer...but I'm glad she is still with you. Is she an ISA Brown? WHen things get desperate for their food consumption and maintaining...protein and sugars and carbs....I'lll go buy chicken livers cut them up mix soft cooked eggs,raw eggs,oatmeal, bread, fruit mine love bananas! Hopefully, something will move.......I know this sounds gross but it was recommended to me with an internal egg layer....have you tried shooting a little olive oil in the egg shoot dept.? I know it sounds crazy but it did help one of my hens. Goodluck!

8. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    are you giving her anything for pain?

9. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I have actually done a lot of lubrication, inside and out, a couple times a day with the KY. It's just very odd that the length of my finger still doens't make contact with the egg.
    We're still giving vitamin/electrolyte water, and she loves her oatmeal. My daughter was just sitting in the bathroom holding her food dishes up to her while she soaked. She's even eating her crumbles. As stressing as this has all been, I have to smile when I walk in to see her happily pampered in her own little chicken spa.
    There is definitely no shortage of love for her.

10. thegoldengirls

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Other than the soaks to help her muscles relax, no, I'm not giving anything for pain.
    She seems more tired, and labored at times than in pain... although I'm not sure how I would truly know.
    Right now she's inside in a dry box.. standing and eating in between preening her wet feathers.

I read were some say eggbinding over 48 hours is sure death, and others who claim they've had a hen eggbound for a month.
    I'm not sure how any hen can last that long, but I think this one is sure hanging in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by