Hen falling asleep standing

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
I have a three year old red sex link hen degrading In health. She’s been on the decline for this whole year now, with a reduced appetite, weight, activity, and reaction times. Tonight she just fell asleep in one of the coops facing the wall standing asleep. She always perches. I’ve spent numerous hours researching and posted several times to try to treat her, but I can’t diagnose her with anything or assist her. Is she going to die? What can I do to help?

Red sexlinks are prone towards reproduction problems I would check for parasite mites etc. but if everything seems fine it’s likely a reproductive issue. Also have you tried spraying for mites?

She may die. Have you had one of her fecal samples read looking for parasites, bacteria or viral load?
Have you checked her over for external parasites? Also check at night when roost mites get on the chickens to feed.
I haven’t had any samples of her tested, I don’t have any local visitable vets who take chickens because they’re “exotic animals.” We do have a mobile vet, but they don’t do lab testing. None of my hens have any signs of parasites (clean butts, clean eggs, bright combs and clean feet). She’s just been an inactive hen for some time and her health is just degrading slowly. Thank you for the advice however.

I haven’t had any samples of her tested, I don’t have any local visitable vets who take chickens because they’re “exotic animals.” We do have a mobile vet, but they don’t do lab testing. None of my hens have any signs of parasites (clean butts, clean eggs, bright combs and clean feet). She’s just been an inactive hen for some time and her health is just degrading slowly. Thank you for the advice however.
Where I live people can send poultry feces for testing by mail. Is that an option where you live?
Giving medicines (poisons) to a sick bird can be a hazard. I would like to treat the parasite. Not a random guess.

Most external parasites are pretty tiny and you have to look closely under the wings and around the cloaca. If none are found during the day, go in at night with a helper and a bright flashlight. Take the bird off the roost and examine the likely locations and the roost as well.
Internal parasites, worms, coccidia, bacterium, etc. are common in animals of all species. Though good avian vets are rare and poultry vets even rarer, any vet should be able to read a fecal sample. You may have to plead but they can do it.
Your state poultry diagnostic lab is in Raleigh. It wouldn't hurt to call them for advice or you could send the carcass there should she pass to determine what was wrong.
Rollins Diagnostic Laboratory North Carolina Department of Agriculture
2101 Blue Ridge Rd
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607-6432
Phone: 919-733-3986

Has your hen been laying eggs recently? Is her tail held up or down? What does her crop feel like—empty and flat, full, hard, dough like or puffy soft? Then check it again early morning before she has eaten. Will she eat if you offer some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg bits? Reproductive infection, cancer, and internal laying are common in hens over 2. Feel of her for any weight loss, and note if her lower belly between the legs is enlarged or tight.

Most external parasites are pretty tiny and you have to look closely under the wings and around the cloaca. If none are found during the day, go in at night with a helper and a bright flashlight. Take the bird off the roost and examine the likely locations and the roost as well.
Internal parasites, worms, coccidia, bacterium, etc. are common in animals of all species. Though good avian vets are rare and poultry vets even rarer, any vet should be able to read a fecal sample. You may have to plead but they can do it.
Your state poultry diagnostic lab is in Raleigh. It wouldn't hurt to call them for advice or you could send the carcass there should she pass to determine what was wrong.
Rollins Diagnostic Laboratory North Carolina Department of Agriculture
2101 Blue Ridge Rd
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607-6432
Phone: 919-733-3986
Thank you, I'll be checking again tonight. I'll make sure to wait and check the roost bars and crevices for any mites. I might run by the feed store and get a de-wormer for the flock because they probably need it annually. She's still alive, but if she does die I'll look into it. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom