Hen falls forward - HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bizzybirdvt, Nov 16, 2016.

1. bizzybirdvt

bizzybirdvt New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    I have a buff orpington hen who isn't doing well, and I am worried. She is about 6 months old. A few days ago (maybe 5?), I started to notice that she was walking close to the ground and then sitting in the yard. She can get herself around - rather quickly, too, in a burst - but as she sits, she starts to tip forward (meaning her butt rises into the air like there is a balloon attached to it) until she loses her balance and falls on her side. When she is on her side, she stretches one leg out straight. She can sometimes get herself back up, but not always. She is using both wings, but i think one side is stronger than the other. She is eating and drinking, and, like i said, she is still mostly getting herself around. Today wasn't a good day, and when i went to check on her, she had been laying in the mud. I gave her a bath (which she seemed to like) and dried her. I don't see any issues with her feet, and she uses both legs when in my arms to grip or move about. I am giving her vitamins, but i can't figure out what is wrong. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

If one side seems stronger than the other, she could have mareks, but that is very contagious and you would notice other chickens acting sick if it was. Botulism causes paralysis, too. It can be deadly, but if you catch it quick and give her a laxative flush to get the toxins out of her system, she could make it.
    Hope she gets better!

3. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

If you think that one side is stronger than the other, she could have mareks, but it is very contagious and you would notice other chickens acting sick if it was.
    Botulism can cause paralysis. It is caused by a toxin found in rotting organic matter, water that has been contaminated by a dead animal, or maggots that have been feeding on a carcass. If you catch it soon enough, then you can give her a laxative flush to get the toxin out of her system. That could save her.
    Hopeshe gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by